Monday, January 19, 2009

Best Time for Pruning

Hi, 
        I am back! So we are in the mid-January and the weather is still quite cold here in Islamabad. Some of the trees have started to show signs of new growth. But most of the Bonsai trees wont start budding until the late February. 
       
        This is the best time to  do any major pruning of your bonsai like cutting some major branch etc since the trees are still dormant. If you wait till the growing season starts, then the tree will see this pruning as a danger to its survival (i.e. loosing a huge amount of foliage) and result in drastic production of growth which in turn weakens the overall tree.
    
    
      

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I jjust bumped into youyr blog while browsing. i also have the same problem i.e. I am unable to find any professional guide towards training bonsai in Pakistan. I hope you will do a good job in increasing our knowledge. By the way can you tell me more about prunning. I mean what tools you use to prune your bonsai as I can guess that you also have had no access to good bonsai tools. What alternatives have you been using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to have you here. I am sorry I forgot to mention that. I have plans on including articles on basic bonsai techniques and how you can implement them using home made tools. As a begineer you dont need any specialized tools for your bonsai.
    Please bear with me I will be writing an article on prunning very soon.I hope that article will answer all of your questions. But if you would still have some questions I will be glad to help you.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't use abusive language. Be modest, otherwise your comments will be deleted.

Powered by FeedBurner